The streets of Gingoog come to life as the city commemorates the 14th Lubi-Lubi Festival. “Sayaw Lubi-Lubi” (Coconut Dance) is the country’s most original and indigenous street dance, utilizing the city’s abundance of coconut plants as their main agricultural product.
It is a celebration of unity among the Gingoognons, held every May 22nd to honor their local patroness, Sta. Rita de Cascia, on her annual feast. The city’s rural and urban barangays gathered to showcase their talents.
Here are the official winners of the 14th Lubi-Lubi Festival:
• Champion: Talisay National High School
• 2nd place: Gingoog Christian College
• 3rd Place: Barangay 18
Additional awards were given as follows:
• Best in Costume: Talisay National High School
• Liveliest Award: Gingoog Christian College
• Best in Musicality: Barangay Lunao
• Lubi-Lubi Festival Queen: Ms. Sharlene Tinambacan (Pundansan National High School)
The festival is just one of the many charms of Gingoog that entices Balikbayans and tourists alike to visit. Regional Director Unchuan emphasized in her speech that Gingoog City has a plethora of choices to offer, from diving spots and breathtaking vistas of nature to the only Oolong Tea Plantation, along with a wide array of stunning tourist attractions.